Who can weigh my caravan/trailer in Australia? List of mobile weighbridge professionals
I have produced a lot of content explaining how towing works; what the weights are, what causes sway, offroad driving and much more. There’s also a calculator to give you an idea of likely weights for your rig.
But nothing will replace careful measurement of your rig on a set of purpose-designed scales operated by a professional, and some personal explanations of the results. So, here’s a list of organisations that will do exactly that for you.
My suggestion is to review my content first, use the calculator, and then get your rig weighed. You’ll get most out of your investment that way as the subject of towing weights is complex, and not possible to fully explain in a short session.
Note that these organisations offer weighing services, not necessarily towing training which may include a bit on weight theory (hopefully) but not actual weighing.
What to expect from your weigh operator
- Scales calibrated every six months, with certificate on website;
- Uses at least 4 scales;
- Explains GVM, GCM etc accurately, doesn’t just provide you the numbers;
- Checks limits carefully eg sometimes a car’s max tow is limited by the towbar or hitch fitted, and there is often variation in max tow depending on transmission and engine;
- Can provide references;
- Takes care to weigh on a level surface as even a slight slope throws the numbers out;
- Has contacts with engineers for modifications as required;
- Understands that weight important for legality, but for stability weight distribution is more important;
- Provides a written report with measurements and explanation. Report includes at minimum:
- Measurements of weight on each axle (note: some carmarkers do not provide axle loads because they simply do not appear to understand the importance)
- Margin to limit (axle loads, ATM, GTM, TBM, GVM, GCM)
- Effect on rear axle load of TBM (which isn’t simple – watch this)
You should be prepared for bad news.
What not to expect
- Towing training
- Complete explanation of towing, dynamics and weights; there simply won’t be time. That’s what you can get from looking at my work ahead of time! Then you’re in a position to have an informed conversation in even more detail with your expert, as opposed to them spending time on the basics.
If you operate a professional trailer/vehicle weighing service complete with advice, contact me for inclusion. The list below is not exhaustive and I have not personally used every service.
|Weighstation||Anywhere in Victoria||https://weighstation.com.au/|
|Be Weight Safe||Anywhere in Victoria||https://beweightsafe.com.au/|
|CheckWeight Mobile Caravan Weighing||Covers NSW||https://checkweight.com.au/|
|Ezi-Weigh||Gold Coast and Northern NSW||https://www.eziweigh.com.au/|
|Weightcheck||Mobile Caravan and Vehicle Weighing|
Brisbane and The Sunshine Coast
Phone : 0477897700
|Mobile Weight Check||Operates in Brisbane and surronds.||mobileweightcheck.com.au|
|Western Weigh||Toowoomba, Warwick, Stanthorpe and The Darling Downs in Qld||https://www.facebook.com/Western-Weigh-113145657049067/|
Phone : 0438506929
|Ezi Weigh||Gold Coat Mc, Qld||https://www.eziweigh.com.au/|
|Your Mobile Weighbridge||All SA||https://www.yourmobileweighbridge.com.au/|
|The Territory Weigh||All NT.||https://www.territoryweigh.com.au/|
Phone : 0459972832
|Weigh Forward||All Tasmania||https://weighforward.com.au/|
|Caravan Weighing WA||WA||https://caravanweighing.com.au/|
0419 915 841 – Mark Baxter
|Vanweigh Caravan Weight Check||Perth||https://vanweigh.com.au/|
0429 080 444
Don’t forget my many videos on trailer towing, weights, and sway…they contain explanations you tend not to find elsewhere. Three examples: