Robert Pepper is a motoring journalist, author, photographer and driver trainer, specialising in offroad vehicles, towing and sportscars.
Robert is a car and outdoors enthusiast on a mission to figure out how to make offroading, towing, camping and racing safer and more enjoyable…and then explain how that’s done.
Robert is a 4WD club member, leading trips ranging from day trips to outback journeys, coordinating events such as abandoned vehicle recovery days and navigation challenges, and assisting with policy around industry and government changes affecting 4X4 owners. Robert is a frequent guest speaker at car club meetings and shows on topics ranging from how vehicles work to photography to the future of 4X4s.
Training is another of Robert’s skills; he has been a senior instructor with 4WD Victoria, where he rewrote the Proficiency 4X4 training course, created a towing course and an advanced winching course. Robert has also conducted training on navigation, photography, car control and racetrack techniques. He also has a background in instructor development. He also carries out product tests on behalf of aftermarket companies, sometimes ahead of release to the wider automotive media, and worked as a driver for vehicle advertisement shoots.
Robert has competed in the Outback Challenge and other winch competitions, has run part of the Pajero Challenge navigation exercise, and owns a Nissan Pulsar racecar which he uses to compete in the local state championship with wins, poles and lap records to his credit.
Before he was into cars Robert was a pilot with an interest in aerobatics, and a gliding instructor qualified in the UK and then New Zealand. He enjoys activities that involve machines with wings, wheels or sails, and camps out of a backpack, his 4×4 or his caravan.
Notable journalism results:
- Discovered and publicised the MA/MC classification issue, resulting in Ford, Haval and Jeep reclassifying their vehicles from MA to MC.
- First to publicise and explain the issues around GCM and towing particularly with 3500kg towing.
- Only journalist to notice carmakers had mispresented ground clearance for example the Fortuner, and Ford with the Raptor, and explained why
- First journalist to drive stock Chinese vehicles over the Simpson (Haval and Great Wall)
- First journalist to carry out a comprehensive electric vehicle tow test in Australia.
- Possibly the only motoring journo in Australia who can instruct offroad, on racetracks, for towing and owns both a modified 4WD and a circuit racing car?
- Facebook page & YouTube
- Articles on Practical Motoring and Motofomo
- Magazine reprints
- Regular guest on the 4X4 Earth podcasts.
- Software – coded a towing weights calculator and a tyre size calculator.
- Various interviews as a motoring expert on national media such as this one (35:11)
- Product tests — vehicles, technology, camping equipment, vehicle accessories
- Technical articles — anything from electronic driving aids, differentials, suspension, how GPS works, driving techniques
- Monthly columns, opinion writing
- Offroad travel writing
- Interviews, reportage, events
- Offroading, 4WD, travel
- Large stock library
- Offroad, towing and racetrack driver training
- Map, GPS, navigation consultancy
- Overlander 4WD
- Adventure Gear Guide
- On The Road Magazine
- Great Walks
- Adventure Journal
- Go Camping
- Australian Dirt Bike
- 4WD Monthly
- Modern Boating
- Sunday Telegraph
- Practical Motoring
- 4X4 Australia
- Unsealed 4X4
- Pat Callinan’s 4X4 Adventures
- The 4X4 Gear Guide
- RV Daily
- Land Rover World
- 4X4 Magazine
- Overland Journal
- Univers Land
- Land Rover Monthly
- Rovers Magazine
Author of four books, three still in publication. Click each title to learn more.
Cover shots and advertising: