Robert Pepper is a motoring journalist, author, photographer and driver trainer, specialising in offroad vehicles, towing, camping, tech and sportscars.
Activities like motorsport and 4×4 driving are inherently risky, so Robert’s journalism work is dedicated to reducing that risk through creation of content that explains theory but relates it firmly to practical experience – he frequently tours offroad, races cars, hikes and tows a variety of trailers.
In addition to content Robert is an experienced driver trainer – he has been a senior instructor with 4WD Victoria, where he rewrote the Proficiency 4X4 training course, created a towing course and an advanced winching course, and qualified as a Land Rover instructor. Robert has also conducted training on navigation, photography, car control and racetrack techniques, and has a background in instructor development. Robert also carries out product tests on behalf of aftermarket companies, sometimes ahead of release to the wider automotive media, and has worked as a driver for vehicle advertisement shoots.
Robert is a frequent guest speaker (more on that here) at car club meetings and shows, on topics ranging from how vehicles work to photography to the future of 4X4s.
Robert has competed in the Outback Challenge and other 4×4 winch competitions, has run part of the Pajero Challenge navigation exercise, and has owned a Nissan Pulsar racecar which he used to compete in the local state championship with wins, poles and lap records to his credit.
Now focusing on creating content for his website and YouTube channel, Robert has previously been co-owner of a motoring website, a freelance contributor to many publications around the world, a magazine editor, and has written four books.
Before he was into cars Robert was a pilot with an interest in aerobatics, and a gliding instructor qualified in the UK and then New Zealand.
And what does L2SBFC stand for? Life’s Too Short for Boring Cars!
Notable journalism results:
- Discovered and publicised the MA/MC classification issue, resulting in Ford, Haval and Jeep reclassifying their vehicles from MA to MC.
- First to publicise and explain the issues around GCM and towing particularly with 3500kg towing.
- Only journalist to notice carmakers had mispresented ground clearance for example the Fortuner, and Ford with the Raptor, INEOS Grenadier, and explained why
- First journalist to drive stock Chinese vehicles over the Simpson (Haval and Great Wall)
- First journalist to carry out a comprehensive electric vehicle tow test in Australia.
- Early tests on Navara NP300, INEOS Grenadier, LC300 and Gaz Trackmaster ahead of all or nearly all others!
- Possibly the only motoring journo in Australia who can instruct offroad, on racetracks, and teach towing?
- Facebook page & YouTube
- Articles on Practical Motoring and Motofomo
- Magazine reprints
- Regular guest on the 4X4 Earth podcasts.
- Software – coded a towing weights calculator and a tyre size calculator.
- Various interviews as a motoring expert on national media such as this one (35:11)
- Product tests — vehicles, technology, camping equipment, vehicle accessories
- Technical articles — anything from electronic driving aids, differentials, suspension, how GPS works, driving techniques
- Monthly columns, opinion writing
- Offroad travel writing
- Interviews, reportage, events
- Offroading, 4WD, travel
- Large stock library
- Offroad, towing and racetrack driver training
- Automotive consultancy – product development, strategies, research, testing
- Overlander 4WD
- Adventure Gear Guide
- On The Road Magazine
- Great Walks
- Adventure Journal
- Go Camping
- Australian Dirt Bike
- 4WD Monthly
- Modern Boating
- Sunday Telegraph
- Practical Motoring
- 4X4 Australia
- Unsealed 4X4
- Pat Callinan’s 4X4 Adventures
- The 4X4 Gear Guide
- RV Daily
- Land Rover World
- 4X4 Magazine
- Overland Journal
- Univers Land
- Land Rover Monthly
- Rovers Magazine
Author of four books, three still in publication. Click each title to learn more.
Cover shots and advertising: