I’m known for independent, detailed, fair and technically accurate automotive journalism. Here’s what frames and drives my work:
I believe that:
- car journalists should do, not just write.
- if you don’t understand it, don’t write about it.
- if you can’t explain ‘why’ whenever you give advice, then you shouldn’t be giving advice.
- theory underpins practical performance.
- training is a fundamental part of risk management for inherently risky activities such as offroading and racing.
- offroad recreation can be environmentally responsible.
- buyers and readers need to be given unbiased, factual information and explanations so they can make decisions.
- Diversity is strength.
- The status quo must always be challenged.
Right now, things that concern me:
- 4X4s over-rated for towing, combined with overweight caravans.
- the trend to taking more, and heavier gear in 4X4s.
- lack of diversity, equity and equality in car recreation.
- advanced safety aids actually eroding safety as drivers rely on tech that isn’t fully reliable.
- losing the fun of cars as technology develops.
- the environmental impact of cars.
- the difficulty with monetising content that isn’t shallow, emotion-tugging clickbait designed for short attention spans which I think leads to a gradual reduction in knowledge, skills and therefore safety.
Things that interest me:
- the evolution of the car – can’t wait for the new electric 4X4s!
- how and why things work – from mechanical to society and everything in between. Forget smalltalk, let’s discuss the Fermi Paradox!
- techniques – but only with the how and why.
- exploring the world; places, cultures, customs and experiences.
- adrenalin rushes.
- anything with wings, wheels or sails!
I don’t follow the usual content-sponsorship model because it compromises independence, and nor do I depend on a steady stream of new-car reviews which would make me dependent on the rather unreliable goodwill of carmakers. The only income I get from journalism is independent; YouTube/AdWords from Google, Patreon, and some freelance writing for other outlets. So if you like my work? Support me.